[mythtv-users] LiveTV channel-change error on 0.25.3

Karl Newman siliconfiend at gmail.com
Thu Apr 18 03:42:42 UTC 2013

I don't use LiveTV but my wife reported a problem with LiveTV since I
updated to the latest 0.25.3 version about 3 weeks ago. When attempting to
change a channel, the frontend freezes for about a minute, then dumps back
to the menu with an error dialog. I don't remember the exact message but I
believe it was the "Video buffering failed too many times" one. Re-entering
LiveTV, the tuner is then on the desired channel and works normally.

My system uses a single PVR-500, so that implies analog, ivtv, MPEG-2 and
all that associated.

I'm using Gentoo and the installed version includes commits to 0.25-fixes
through March 22. Since there was a limited number of commits from the
previous version (Jan 31) I looked through the list for likely culprits.
Backing out commit 71ad653b9a7ba593eb5307d4cd88a81e4d9387a4 and its related
partner 5f5e5f70b16f3733764a70c4767c2d4ebdd3a915 made channel changing in
LiveTV work again.

I see those same cherry-picked commits are also in 0.26 and none of the
commits after it appear to address any problem like this. I attempted to
look up a ticket with this issue, but there were only 2 active tickets
regarding LiveTV, and searching for "livetv" brought up 11 pages worth and
I didn't feel like going through all that, sorry...

Karl