[mythtv-users] nVidia driver 304.88: problems

Jean-Yves Avenard jyavenard at gmail.com
Wed Apr 17 00:36:45 UTC 2013

Hi

On 16 April 2013 23:05, Paul Gardiner <lists at glidos.net> wrote:

> I'm now on 313.30, so maybe I wont have the problem now (yet to
> experiment), but what I was
> seeing (as were others): if you activate "Separate video modes for GUI and
> TV playback", but don't set up any "Overrides for specific video
> sizes" then the mode is set on every transition between GUI and
> playback. The patch seemed to fix it, and not by forcing a single

That's how I have mine set up.
Separate video modes is checked, the resolution is set to 1920x1080 and the
refresh rate set to auto. No other overrides.

The refresh rate change from the default 50Hz in GUI to the refresh rate
for the video being played; 24Hz, 60Hz whatever.

I have noticed that sometimes during Video->GUI it doesn't revert back to
the original 50Hz. Which doesn't bother me as my frontends are machines
dedicated to myth and as such, I had very little incentive to look at
fixing it.

What I don't understand is what exactly is your problem? That setting is
designed for the mode to be changed going from GUI to playback.

You're saying that it changes even if say GUI is currently at 50Hz and you
try to play a 50Hz video? and that shouldn't happen?

refresh rate, because I'd still see a mode change if transitioning
> from playback => gui =>playback if the two playbacks were for different
> rates.

but that's intended...

I guess I must be missing something.. Because I just don't get what the
problem is.

if you run mythfrontend with -v playback --loglevel debug
You see that when I start playback from GUI, then myth issues request for
one change only, to the mode matching what the video that is about to play
would use.

> One quick question: when some part of MythTV wants current video mode
> information, does it enquire of the system, or does it use cached
> information from when it last set the mode itself? I sometimes see
> signs that it does the former, and would be better doing the latter.
> I wonder whether perhaps requests for mode changes don't have effect
> immediately, and queries too soon after a change request come back
> with the old mode rather than the new mode.

it starts believing that the current mode is "0", then set to whatever you
asked the system to be. From that point on, that's the current mode
(m_last) as opposed to what's coming ("next" in the code)

myth doesn't cache anything from a previous run, it's always within the
current lifespan of the myth process

Not sure if that answer your questions, but I'm not sure I fully understand
it :)