[mythtv-users] Need ideas for auto-recovery of locked up backend

Simon Hobson linux at thehobsons.co.uk
Tue Apr 16 15:53:07 UTC 2013

Craig Huff wrote:
>Simon- are you talking about a watchdog timer that exists in the
>native hardware?  IIRC, such a timer exists in Intel CPUs.  Sadly, my
>system is based on an AMD Athlon CPU.  If I'm wrong, I'd gladly like
>more information on how to implement it with AMD CPUs.
>
>OTOH, the suggestion from f-myth-users using an external one-shot is a
>possibility I hadn't considered.  Hmmm...

I didn't have a specific impletmentation in mind - other that it would most likely need to be an add-on bit of hardware. Some devices aimed at embedded environments have that sort of hardware on the board (not in the processor - didn't know they had them), otherwise it shouldn't be too hard to build something.