[mythtv-users] Need ideas for auto-recovery of locked up backend

Craig Huff huffcslists at gmail.com
Tue Apr 16 02:38:18 UTC 2013

I have had a couple of incidents recently (and a few more over the
many years I've been using MythTV) in which something runs berserk
(different days, different things) and my backend is left running but
locked up doing nothing but burning electrons until I get home and
kick it (hit the reset button).  Usually, in such cases, even ssh is
not my friend since the system is so tied up in knots that it
can't/won't allow an ssh session to connect.

Short of implementing a scheme to connect a serial port signal, such
as CTS or RTS, from another computer to the reset pins on the backend,
is there something else that can bring the system back into a
functional state?

For what it's worth, this is a dual-core Athlon system, so things I've
read about that depend on Intel CPU features (IIRC) are non-starters.

Craig.