[mythtv-users] Suggestions for choice of hybrid tuners , probably USB based

vacationsnbeyond@comcast.net vacationsnbeyond at comcast.net
Mon Apr 15 02:46:13 UTC 2013

Hd homerun prime not gf.

Sent from my Verizon Wireless Phone

----- Reply message -----
From: "vacationsnbeyond at comcast.net" <vacationsnbeyond at comcast.net>
To: "Discussion about MythTV" <mythtv-users at mythtv.org>
Subject: [mythtv-users] Suggestions for choice of hybrid tuners ,	probably USB based
Date: Sun, Apr 14, 2013 10:32 pm
I have the gf homerun prime, its great

Sent from my Verizon Wireless Phone

----- Reply message -----
From: "Larry Finger" <Larry.Finger at lwfinger.net>
To: "Discussion about MythTV" <mythtv-users at mythtv.org>
Date: Sun, Apr 14, 2013 10:09 pm

I recently devoted some effort into determining why I was getting 0B recordings, only to discover that my PVR500 had died. It was still being recognized and the driver loaded without err - it just failed to provide any MPEG output. This failure was confirmed by replacing the PVR500 with a PVR250 that I had in a drawer.

I have recovered in the short term by purchasing another PVR500 on E-bay, but I need a longer-term solution. First of all, the PVR500 population is dwindling. Secondly, Time-Warner is likely to pull the plug on analog TV and force me to switch to digital. As I only have SD TVs with analog tuners, this switch will be expensive, and I wish to delay it as long as possible.

In the meantime, I would like to acquire new tuners that will work with my current analog signal, but also handle the digital input when I am forced to switch. My motherboard has one PCIe X1 slot, and 2 PCI slots. One of the latter can be replaced by a PCIe X16 card. As I need a minimum of 3 tuners and 4 is preferred, I expect that external devices would be better.

What are my options for such tuners that work with MythTV?

Thanks,

Larry