[mythtv-users] nVidia driver 304.88: problems

Jean-Yves Avenard jyavenard at gmail.com
Sun Apr 14 23:36:19 UTC 2013

Hi there.

I did an update to my ubuntu 12.04LTS box yesterday. Small update...
While it's usual for major ubuntu upgrade to break stuff (but that's
another topic)

It upgraded nvidia drivers from  295.40 to 304.88 ; which was quite
surprising as usually it never do such a big steps in LTS release.

Anyhow: it is very broken.
This is on my main backend, which is also used as a frontend in my cinema
room (plugged to a cinema projector)

As soon as I turn off the projector, when I turn it back on I get no signal
from the PC. I must then restart X / Window manager to get video signal
going.
Interestingly, if from the command line I start a VDPAU playback, signal
comes back again (sometimes, not always), without having to restart X.

Reverting back to 295.40 fixes all issues and for now, I've locked that
version

my xorg.conf hasn't changed much in years. I use the CustomEDID command so
I can boot the PC even if the projector is off.

Anyone has experienced similar issues with 304.88?
I'd like to find the problem with those drivers because sooner or later, I
would have no choice but upgrade :(

Thanks