[mythtv-users] channel changes via script suddenly stopped working--diagnose help

Larry Roberts mythtv at american-hero.com
Sat Apr 13 22:02:25 UTC 2013

> Yup, shall I send him round? :-)
with a large hammer please :)

> OK - from the details above I'd say it's unlikely to be external influences.
> I'd regard running the mythbackend as root as 'unusual', but I can't see being harmful.  Next thing I'd check is whether the cc script is really being run as root; and to that end I'd change the line that says
>
> print CCFILE "$channel". "\n";
>
> to something like
>
> print CCFILE scalar localtime(), " $< $>  $channel\n";
>
> so that you can see the exact time that the script was called, it's UID ($<) and EUID ($>), and the command.  I'd expect that UID and EUID are both 0 for you.
>
> I'd be pretty sure that the script is being called from the backend - you don't have any slave backends do you?
>
> If none of the above reveal any problems then next I'd say look at de-installing/re-installing lirc, but that's beginning to get into desperation measures.  The only other thing I'd wonder is - is there a physical fault in the IRblaster, but the fact that the script works from the command line suggests not.
> [When I worked on Aircraft Sims, the rule for fault finding was "If it isn't the cables it's the cables - you just haven't checked hard enough]
>
> After that I'm out of ideas for the moment - I'll see if anything tickles the subconscious while I watch an old recoding of Guitar Heroes at the BBC on my mythbox.
>
> -- Paul --

so I'm running this on CENTOS and I see something in the startup script
about it not running as mythtv because of some missing groups.  Thats
most likely the reason I'm root.  Given that this box has a single
purpose and its not internet accessable I'm not overly worried about it.

so I have edited the script to do as you mentioned.  I am showing UID
and EUID for 0 for both.  This is the only myth box I have.   i did a
yum reinstall lirc  and it didn't seem to make a difference. Appreciate
the help in solving this as do my kids who are anxious for some new
cartoons to watch.

:)

Appreciate everyones support on figuring this out...