[mythtv-users] Increased errors when moving to 0.26

Rich West Rich.West at wesmo.com
Fri Apr 12 18:17:22 UTC 2013

On 04/12/2013 01:13 PM, Mike Perkins wrote:
> On 12/04/13 17:45, Rich West wrote:
>> This past weekend I finally bit the bullet and moved from 0.25 to 0.26.
>> As simple as that sounds, it wasn't. :(  I had to upgrade from Fedora 16
>> to Fedora 18 on all of my frontends as well as my backend since I try to
>> keep up with the RPM distribution, and, in the process, I was replacing
>> my frontend hardware (machine and universal remotes).
>>
>> Anyhow, the OS upgrade went pretty well (that was a shock), and, after a
>> few hiccups with the mythbackend, things have stabilized out and the WAF
>> has been steadily coming back.
>>
>> Since the upgrade, I have been cleaning up missing recordings and stuff
>> out of the database (had a drive failure back in January which resulted
>> in a lot of lost recordings) to make sure it is clean.  Yesterday, I was
>> positive I had cleaned out all of the remaining stuff.
>>
>> Since I monitor this system via Cacti for system stats as well as mythtv
>> stats, I noticed a steady increase in the number of errors it is
>> reporting despite all of the old entries pointing to non-existant files
>> being purged.  In looking at the backend logs, I'm seeing:
>>
>> 2013-04-12 10:00:27.377894 E [18735/21090] Commflag_118942
>> programinfo.cpp:2284 (GetPlaybackURL) -
>> ProgramInfo(1292_20130412140000.mpg): GetPlaybackURL:
>> '1292_20130412140000.mpg' should be local, but it can not be found.
>>
>> Since 7am yesterday, there are 456 unique instances of those errors in
>> my backend log. And those recordings are current (judging by the
>> filename ####_YYYYMMDD######.mpg).. so why would they disappear?  I
>> checked on my two volumes (I have two separate 500GB disks in a storage
>> group) and those files don't exist.
>>
>> I'm not sure where else to look for narrowing down this particular
>> problem. Thoughts?
>>
>> -Rich
>>
>> Some stats, if they are helpful to anyone:
>> Mythtv 0.26
>> 3 PVR150's via S-video to DirectTV SD boxes with USB connections to
>> change channels
>> 1 dual-tuner HD Homerun
>> Dual-core AMD64 X2 4000+
>> 2GB ram
>> 2 500GB drives in default storage group
>> 2 200GB drives in a mirrored root pair
>> mysql database is local
>> CPU utilization is low (benefit of the tuners)
>>
> I suspect this is to do with the change to UTC. Try looking for
> filenames on your disk which are however many hours away your timezone
> is from the filename.
>
> I thought the database upgrade from 0.25 to 0.26 would have fixed
> this, but perhaps there are corner cases relating to your previous
> problems.

Being in EST (EDT at the moment, so it's UTC/GMT-4), I did hunt for
recent files, but unfortunately came up empty.  "ls -latR /volumename |
head" for each volume didn't show anything created within the last three
hours. :(  For example, with the file above, there hasn't been any file
created today starting with 1292_20130412.

Hmm.. wait a sec.. I bet it is permissions related.  Using ATrpms,
mythbackend ran as root.  Using RPMfusion, it's running at mythtv.
Despite the video devices being world read/write and the storage group
also being world read/write, it's still a problem.  Restarting it as
root seemed to start recordings again!  Now I get to attack any other
issues that come up. :)

-Rich