[mythtv-users] possible alternative to HDhomerun? TBS MOI

Russell Gower mythtv at thegowers.me.uk
Thu Apr 11 07:09:23 UTC 2013

On 11 Apr 2013, at 07:33, "mythtv ." <mythtv at harley-jones.co.uk> wrote:

> Well, I've had my MOI for about a week now, As supplied it's running a buildroot/ulibC userspace and a Kernel without NFS support or loadable module support, So i've rebuilt the kernel and installed Debian Wheezy to a SD card. I have it running a v0.26 slave backend from the debian-multimedia repo.
>
> I've currently got it recording to a NFS sever but the performance is questionable, it can manage a SD single recording, but seems to struggle with two. on Investigation it would appear to be network related, whilst recording two streams the kernel rpciod process uses around 60%CPU (mythbackend is around 35%) I've done some testing with IPERF and could't get it above 50mbits (where as my master backend to the same server hits 950mbits) so there is something wrong with it's network stack, but I'm not sure where to look.
>
> Any ideas anyone or should I just right this off to experience?
>
> R.
>
> Great work Russell!
>
> I have mine sat on my desk here at work having just got it and want to run it exactly as you have done (ie as a slave backend)
>
> Are you going to document the steps you have gone through? As it would save me duplicated effort!
>
> Martin

Hi,
  Yes I do plan to document the build steps, I just need to find a suitable location to do so - is a page on the MythTV Wiki appropriate?

If I can't resolve the network performance issues then I have a plan B, It's currently completely untested but I'm thinking of setting up a couple of network tuners on the master backend and using a channel changing script to manipulate an instance of dvblast on the MOI - one for each tuner, the Freesat transponders i'm interested in are advertised as between 30mbits/s and 45mbits/s so multirec might not be an option, but it should manage two simultaneous recordings, without the overheads of running backend over NFS.

The more I think about it the network tuner option sounds better than running a slave backend (one less version of Mythtv to compile etc).

R.