[mythtv-users] Auto poweroff an idle front-end?

George Nassas gnassas at mac.com
Tue Apr 9 16:06:33 UTC 2013

On 2013-04-07, at 1:41 PM, Michelle Dupuis wrote:

> I now have several mythtv front-ends and often find front-ends running unused for days.  Is there a way to configure a front-end to power itself down if has been idle for (eg) 2 hours?

Following on the suggestion of using standby mode you can go into Setup -> General to tell the frontend how long it should wait before entering standby mode and then have a cron job that runs every 5 or 10 minutes which tests for that by checking for output from this command:

curl -s http://localhost:6547/Frontend/GetStatus | grep '<Key>currentlocation</Key><Value>standbymode</Value>'

a non-empty result means its safe to shut down the frontend machine.

- George