[mythtv-users] Auto poweroff an idle front-end?

Michael T. Dean mtdean at thirdcontact.com
Tue Apr 9 12:26:07 UTC 2013

On 04/08/2013 10:08 PM, David Whyte wrote:
> On Mon, Apr 8, 2013 at 8:59 AM, Michael T. Dean wrote:
>
>> See mythwelcome and/or feel free to play with the new frontend idle
>> support.
> Hi Mike,
>
> What is this new frontend idle support?  I had a quick look in the commit
> logs/wiki and couldn't find anything.  I am interested to hear more if you
> can expand?

It's the start of new functionality to deal with idleness.  Currently it
only just changes the connection to the backend such that it's not
blocking backend shutdown, so it will allow the backend to shut down
even though the frontend is running and connected to the backend (so,
it's great for a combined frontend/backend system).

However, if someone wanted to take a bit of time and write up a patch to
send out a MythTV System Event when the frontend goes idle and when it
goes not idle, then you could set up the system to run the script of
your choosing upon the events.  This is much better than using something
like xscreensaver because frontend idleness can/will check other things
beyond just the display usage.

Mike