[mythtv-users] Weirdest Setup/Config and why?

Another Sillyname anothersname at googlemail.com
Fri Apr 5 17:43:31 UTC 2013

OK

I've had a myth system now for about 7-8 years and as I've said on the list
before my family couldn't go back to normal TV.

The system has a central media server with a fairly big library and then a
separate TV server that feeds the assorted freeview/Sky feeds to the
assorted laptops/tablets/HTPC systems dotted around the house.

Recently, I had a request from my youngest to provide him a system, on
which he could play Oblivion the game with all it's enhancements and in
super duper up to date graphics mode.  This presented a bit of a dilemma as
I prefer not to have base systems with Windows but in this instance took
the view that to get the graphics performance I'd really have to run it
native.

So using what I have spare I put together a Mini ITX system using a 3 year
old mobo and a built him a Windows 7 Ultimate x64 system.  After installing
all the bits he wanted he had his all signing and dancing dedicated
Oblivion box.

He's not allowed an amp or speakers in his bedroom to keep down the
excessive out of hours noise that would result, so he uses a Nokia
Bluetooth Headset for his audio fix (it also doubles up as a phone headset
so keeps his mum happy as well).

After doing the build I thought I'd install vmware and see what the quality
was like if I ran Myth in a VM session and after installing it, Fed18 Mate
and Myth I have to say you really can now run graphics intensive (although
not 3d intensive) stuff in a VM without too many problems.

So he's ended up with a myth system, built on Fed18x64, running in a VM, on
a Windows 7 Ultx64 system, with a bluetooth headset working without any
issues at all.  Probably the weirdest build I've done in some ways but he's
happy and frankly full screen you'd never know the VM session wasn't native.

While I appreciate this isn't exactly out there for weird setups I thought
some people might find it useful if they need to do non mainstream
builds......

Have a good weekend all.

Tony