[mythtv-users] VAAPI on mythtv-0.26

Joseph Fry joe at thefrys.com
Fri Apr 5 17:27:23 UTC 2013

> >> is there a list of processors that work with VAAPI and "should" be
>> >

>> > Any Sandy or Ivy Bridge processor should work (the specs should say it
>> has
>> > INTEL HD graphics built in).  I am using a Sandy Bridge Celeron G540
>> (just
>> > about the slowest sandy bridge processor you can buy today) and it was
>> > powerful enough for CPU playback... but VAAPI freed up the CPU for
>> > comflagging and whatnot.
>> >
>> > In reality, if you have any sort of GPU acceleration (VAAPI, VDPAU, etc)
>> > there isn't an x86 processor made today that is NOT fast enough.  Mythtv
>> > doesn't use that much CPU unless your doing post processing (commflag,
>> > transcode, etc).
>>
>> right, but not all GPU acceleration is made the same, the older cards
>> were not capable of the support required for typical MythTV file
>> playback, especially with deinterlacing taken into account.
>>
>> It's not the CPU speed I'm concerned with but the GPU
>> speed/capabilities. If I go and buy a Sandy cpu with "INTEL HD", and
>> connect it to my 1080p tv can I expect the quality of it's 1080i
>> playback with deinterlacing to be on par with what I get from my
>> NVidia GT220 in regards to CPU load reduction?
>

> Ahh... now that is a completely different question than  "is there a list
> of processors that work with VAAPI and "should" be
> fast enough for typical MythTV use?"
>
> I doubt that VAAPI would match a GT220 with Advanced 2X deinterlacing.  I
> believe that VAAPI only supports BOB 2X and One Field... I read something
> that suggests future cores may add additional de-int options?

Correction... the cores, even some before sandy-bridge, had support for
advanced deinterlacing methods... it's all about the intel driver.
 Apparently they simply haven't enabled the support for advanced
deinterlacing in the driver yet, just Bob.

Regardless, for casual watching the picture looks fine to me.  I just put
on a 1080i hockey game, and I definitely see some interlace lines around
players bodies, and the image isn't as crisp as I would like... but it's
watchable. I stand by my comment below.