[mythtv-users] zbox as a frontend: ID41 vs ID80

Paul Gardiner lists at glidos.net
Fri Apr 5 14:21:12 UTC 2013

On 05/04/2013 15:04, Steven Adeff wrote:
> On Fri, Apr 5, 2013 at 6:54 AM, Paul Gardiner <lists at glidos.net
> <mailto:lists at glidos.net>> wrote:
>
>     About to give in, and update my current ION1 frontend
>     to a zbox. Just looking for some advice on which to
>     choose. I may need to hurry if I want an ID41.
>
>     I'm mainly wondering if a GT520M in any way produces
>     higher quality than an ION2 (e.g., maybe using more bits
>     in transformations).
>
>     P.
>

> what is your definition of "higher quality" in this context?
> the visual output should be the same, sometimes absolute
> brightness/contrast levels might be different because of the chipset, or
> other factors, but I don't think it they will be so different as to be
> of concern.

I was just wondering if any one had seen both and felt they noticed
a visual difference. I suppose it is unlikely that anyone would have
had the chance to compare, although someone might have compared an
ION1 with nvidia cards.

> I believe the 520 has a newer "version" of the vdpau/purevideo hardware
> and can decode more codecs in hardware(if that matters I would look into
> that further). both will pass through the new higher bitrate audio codecs.
>
> Neither is fast enough for Advanced 2x deinterlacing, however most
> people see no difference between them in their normal tv watching
> between Advanced 2x and the other deinterlacing options. (however, if
> you watch a lot of sports and your TV's post-processing interferes, you
> may notice some jutter).

I didn't realise that. Advanced 2x was one of the benefits I was hoping
to have over my current ION1. I thought I'd seen claims of people having
it working on ION2.

> Both should do fine at hardware scaling and like deinterlacing show no
> generally noticeable difference.

That was the other benefit I was after. At the moment, I do notice a
slight improvement in using variable screen modes and allowing my TV to
do the scaling, but then I have the annoyance of the flickering as the
HDMI connection changes mode. I'd like to stick in 1080p continually,
but then it's a shame to lose quality for non-HD broadcasts.

> The ID80 should be marginally faster for non-video decoding things like
> the menu interface and such, if that is of concern and worth the
> potential price difference.
>
> Which, in the end I would be more concerned with, which one is cheaper ;-)

I think you are right, and keeping my current ION1 sounds nice and
cheap. :-) And it's silent.

Thanks. Maybe you've saved me some unnecessary expense.

Cheers,
	Paul.