[mythtv-users] holtek keyboard mappings not recognised

Mike de Plume mike at mikedeplume.com
Thu Apr 4 08:44:44 UTC 2013

On Thu, 2013-04-04 at 09:40 +1100, Corona Sensei wrote:
> On 4/04/2013 8:20 AM, Mike de Plume wrote:
> >>>
> Hi Mike,
> I've also got a cheap IR remote that reports itself as Holtek.
> After battling with it's various key combinations previously, I went
> looking for a different solution when moving the remote to a new slave
> frontend and stumbled upon this: http://rtr.ca/sapphire_remote/
>
> It's basically a replacement hid driver that's customised for remotes,
> and allows you to map any keypress to any button, including choosing to
> have modifyers (ctrl/alt) if you want them.
> Even better it lets you have a separate keypress for a long button hold,
> and custom repeat rates for different keys. This means for instance that
> I can have the power button normally mapped to esc, but then if I hold
> it down for > 1 second send a different key that's macro'd to a script
> to send the pc to sleep. It's a very flexible driver.

I had thought of a replacement but I need to get over the fact that the
box has a nice neat IR window and a replacement would (probably) mean a
separate receiver hanging out somewhere. Actually, on second thoughts, a
separate receiver means the positioning of the box relative to me is
less critical. Hmmm...

> I modified the driver and scripts to recognise my HOLTEK remote rather
> than the original sapphire one and set up most of the keys on my remote
> (it has different button keycodes to the sapphire one), as well as
> figuring out settings to add to udev to run the script to set the driver
> automatically when plugging the usb remote in.
> Unfortunately I haven't written up my modifications yet, and the pc that
> it's all on isn't remotely accessible at the moment, so I'll have to get
> back to you later if you're interested.

That looks well worth trying. Yes please.

> Alternately, you can always use lirc with devinput to take over the
> remote and stop X from seeing it as a keyboard. This is a really decent
> solution that's probably better supported really, and should let you
> remap the buttons to any keypress you want. There's some links down the
> bottom of the sapphire page that might help with that.

This thing reports itself as a keyboard in `lsusb`, so I don't know how
that can be caught by lirc. That won't stop me reading the links,
though.

Thanks also to Martin who suggests eventlircd for this problem.

I've got lots more reading to do, and some day time work as well, so
I'll be back in a couple of days.

Thanks

Mike S.