[mythtv-users] Moving storage and database to new machine?

Nick Rout nick.rout at gmail.com
Sun Sep 30 23:14:48 UTC 2012

On Mon, Oct 1, 2012 at 11:15 AM, Michael T. Dean
<mtdean at thirdcontact.com> wrote:
> On 09/30/2012 08:08 AM, Magnus Larsson wrote:
>>
>> Hi!
>>
>> I am setting up a brand new backend for my Mythtv (all in ubuntu 12.04),
>> and need to move the database and existing recordings to this new machine. I
>> read in the Wiki on how to manage storage devices in the storage groups, but
>> am not clear on how to best move betwen different physical machines.
>>
>> My plan is to export - import the database and simply do a rsync of the
>> recordings to the new maching. The paths in the new machine will be slightly
>> different (bigger, raid5, as opposed to smaller and no-raid previously).
>>
>> Any advice before I start and make troubles for myself?
>

> If by "export - import" you mean, do a complete backup of the database (
> http://www.mythtv.org/wiki/Database_Backup_and_Restore ) and then do a full
> restore of that backup on the new machine, replacing whatever database may
> be there (
> http://www.mythtv.org/wiki/Database_Backup_and_Restore#Replacing_an_existing_database
> ), that's the proper procedure for handling the database.  As Nick
> mentioned, make sure you consider host names--the easiest approach is to use
> the exact same host name for the new system as you used on the old, since
> all your configuration is stored in a profile based on the system's host
> name.
>
> And, IMHO, rsync is the best tool for moving the recordings themselves
> (using --progress, especially, makes it user-friendly--not to mention the
> fact that you can stop/restart it as necessary).

My standard rsync options are -avPp - I've been doing it that way so
long I cannot recall what they each do, but I get progress reported
back to me!

I assume you are doing rsync over your lan. It may be quicker to
remove the storage drives from the old machine and plug them in to the
new machine. The transfer will be quicker, and you can still use rsync
so that if you have to stop for some reason, you can carry on later.