[mythtv-users] MythTV+Mageia2+PowerViewTV card(s)

Nick Rout nick.rout at gmail.com
Sun Sep 30 06:29:05 UTC 2012

On Sun, Sep 30, 2012 at 6:53 PM, Marc Paré <marc at marcpare.com> wrote:
> Hi Nick,
>
> Le 2012-09-30 01:35, Nick Rout a écrit :
>
> On Sun, Sep 30, 2012 at 10:53 AM, Marc Paré <marc at marcpare.com> wrote:
>
> Hi John,
>
> Le 2012-09-29 08:32, John Pilkington a écrit :
>
> On 29/09/12 07:28, Marc Paré wrote:
>
> Hi Raymond,
>
> Le 2012-09-28 13:18, Raymond Wagner a écrit :
>
> On 9/28/2012 10:51, Marc Paré wrote:
>
> I just joined the list a week ago and have been following the different
> threads. I am having problems getting MythTV to recognize my PowerViewTV
> card. The card is well recognized by TVTime.
>

> TVTime only functions with framegrabbers, and framegrabbers are a poor
> choice for anything that needs to record. MythTV has to pull data from
> audio and video inputs, and encode it in real time. It's not that hard
> to pull off, but the configuration is clumsy and error prone. It's
> recommended anyone want to do analog use hardware encoder cards, which
> do all that for MythTV, and feed MythTV a simple MPEG stream. Last I
> checked, you could generally pick up used PVR-150s for $20-25, or
> PVR-500s (dual tuners) for about twice that.
>
> Thanks! For the info.
>
> So, what TVCard would you recommend for someone who would like to record
> 2 channels at the same time, and, that work well with MythTV? I am on
> Mageia2 Linux.
>
> Cheers,
>
> Marc
>

> Your first post suggests that you are in Canada and want to receive analog
> TV.  Raymond's post mentions the PVR-500 which would likely be a good
> choice.  If you have access to digital signals via cable or OTA I believe
> you would need something else.  Location, signal source (and price) are
> important things to know when making recommendations.
>
> HTH
>
> John P
>

> Oops! Yes, of course. Here are the specs:
>
> Location: Canada
> Signal: digital
>
> I am not sure if you are somewhat confused. You started by saying you
> are successfully using tvtime. Now you say your source is digital. I
> am not sure that tvtime supports any digital sources, so are you sure?
>
> OK now I am confused. I am on Rogers Cable Waterloo Canada. I think that
> analog service is no longer available and we can only get digital service. I
> think that people who were using analog service are still able to use their
> TV's with cable, but, if you are using an antenna, you need to get the box
> for conversion ... or something like that.
>
> This page will explain what we have, we do not use any digital adapters[1]
> ... as you can see, I am not too familiar with all of this.
>
> TVTime works on all or our Linux boxes with all channels.
>
> Does that make sense?

Now I wondered if I was right so I looked further! googling this card
and linux mainly results in posts by you to the mageaia mailing lists
LOL. One points here
http://www.factorydirect.ca/Product.aspx?sku=PO0010 which has a pic.
The pic shows a sticker on the card listing a number of analogue TV
standards: PAL, NTSC, SECAM.

This reinforces my view that the card is analogue only, and you are
getting some leftover Rogers analogue service.

That may be switched off any time, so you will want to consider a move
to digital, but you might also fall foul of various encryption
problems - I don't know what Rogers makes available "in the clear".
You will need the advice of others on the same or similar services to
advise properly.