[mythtv-users] Is there still a global padding option?

Mike Perkins mikep at randomtraveller.org.uk
Fri Sep 28 16:20:55 UTC 2012

On 28/09/12 13:25, Michael T. Dean wrote:
> On 09/27/2012 09:22 PM, Michael Watson wrote:
>> On 27/09/2012 10:40 PM, Michael T. Dean wrote:
>>>
>>> But thanks for the additional proof that we have too many settings to be
>>> useful and that it's too hard to find the settings, even when you know they
>>> exist, and that "just add a setting" isn't a good choice for solving future
>>> problems.  :)
>>>

>> Frontend > Setup > Video > Recording Priorities >
>> Set Recording Priorities > Page  1 is Scheduler Options,
>> followed by Pages 2 and 3.
>>
>> Or more intuitive locations for existing/future options.  Seems (to me) odd,
>> to look in Video for options to do with recording/scheduling.
>
> Well, ignoring the fact that a lot of settings have been moved/renamed to try to
> make them more "intuitive" and easier to find (and, yet, they still aren't),
> that still doesn't help the other problem--that we have too many settings for
> users to know what settings are available (not to mention the effects of the
> interaction of different settings).
>
> I'm still a big believer that a setting is just a shortcut for when the
> developer doesn't know (or doesn't feel like writing code for figuring out) The
> Right Thing to do.  (And Apple seems to be proving that people are happier with
> limited settings and "It Just Works".)

That works for Apple because they only have a fixed, limited variety of hardware
to program for and the hardware is all under Apple's control.

Out here in the real world, we have a humungous variety of hardware both old and
new which varies according to which country or market you are in. Transmission
standards vary all over the globe as well. Sure, you can make some educated
guesses according to LOCALE and suchlike, but I reckon there will always need to
be a way to make tweaks to any particular setup.

You only have to read the posts here about audio to know that configuring myth
to fit in with existing equipment is never going to be 'simple'.

I would, however, agree that the present arrangement is confusing to the less
knowledgeable user and some alternative approach could be more appropriate.

--

Mike Perkins