[mythtv-users] Convert mythcommflag info into 'chapters' (was: Commerical skipping thru PS3)

Nick Rout nick.rout at gmail.com
Thu Sep 27 19:44:17 UTC 2012

On Tue, Sep 25, 2012 at 2:24 PM, Michael Norman <mwnorman at gmail.com> wrote:
> I posted a question a few weeks ago asking if there was any way to 'tweak'
> Mythtv so that
> the DLNA client in my PS3 could send the 'END' key to jump to the of the
> current commercial.
>
> The answer was no ... but also a suggestion that if I could encode chapter
> markers into the
> video recording, the 'next' key - used to jump to the next chapter - could
> be used as a
> commercial skipping technique.
>
> So, I need some help putting together a User Job that takes the info
> generated by
> mythcommflag and - what, runs handbrakeCLI to transcode and insert chapters?

I am not sure that you would need to transcode. Could be that you just
need to remux the file to mkv with mkvmerge and a chapter file. The
format of a simple chapter file is:

           CHAPTER01=00:00:00.000
           CHAPTER01NAME=Intro
           CHAPTER02=00:02:30.000
           CHAPTER02NAME=Baby prepares to rock
           CHAPTER03=00:02:42.300
           CHAPTER03NAME=Baby rocks the house

(sorry for the puerile example, it is from the mkvmerge man page!)

The timing should be calculable from the frame number given in the
database table.