[mythtv-users] Wiki on MythVideo lacks tag/variable defs

Ben Kamen bkamen at benjammin.net
Thu Sep 27 02:40:03 UTC 2012

On 2012-09-26 9:34 PM, Michael T. Dean wrote:
> On 09/26/2012 10:28 PM, Ben Kamen wrote:
>> On 2012-09-26 9:21 PM, Michael T. Dean wrote:
>>> On 09/26/2012 09:30 PM, Ben Kamen wrote:
>>>
>>> http://www.mythtv.org/wiki/Video_Library#Disadvantages
>>
>> I did see this -- and I'm not sure how it relates to what I'm doing in the intimate sense.
>
> What I'm saying is that because you're using Storage Groups, MythTV doesn't have a simple file system path to pass to xine, and since xine doesn't understand myth:// URIs, xine won't work with what MythTV has.
>
> So, as I see it, your options are to:
> a) Get the Internal player working
> b) Re-rip the DVDs to other formats that the Internal player can handle (i.e. rip the main title to a "simple" video file and not the whole ISO)
> c) Work up a hack that uses a file name extension to trigger a script you write that takes a myth:// URI, parses out the relevant information, and uses that to look up the path to the file on the file system (by searching the actual file system--the information isn't in MythTV's database), then starts xine for you

And I had pondered some of those items -- but the lacking of even the %s from the "external players" and a discussion of what  that impacts prompted me to ask here. I will probably re-convert to a non-ISO format.

I appreciate the clarification.

If there would be some way to better explain this in the Wiki... that'd be super.
(and have avoided my need to ask here. I do try to keep the chatter down)

Thanks Michael,

  -Ben