[mythtv-users] Virtualisation .. can it do this? (HP ProLiant MicroServer N40L)

Michael T. Dean mtdean at thirdcontact.com
Tue Sep 25 13:38:37 UTC 2012

On 09/25/2012 07:10 AM, Damian wrote:
> So, my question is, could virtualisation help with this?
>
> When it's time for a big update, could I clone the working virtual
> machine and keep it safe. Then update the 'copy' until I get that
> working great. Then just delete the original version?

http://partimage.org/Main_Page

No VM required.

When it's time to upgrade, use partimage to create an image of the
partition(s) you want to "back up".  Then, put the file you've created
somewhere safe.  If you need to, you can then restore the partition
without worry.

Or, an alternative approach--which is getting even easier these days as
hard drives grow to be almost too large for a "normal" system drive--is
to just create a few 20-30GB partitions for your root partitions for
multiple installs/versions, then install your Mythbuntu on one of them
and leave the other(s) blank.  Then, when time for an upgrade, install a
new Mythbuntu to a different partition***, and boot into that system.
If you're not happy, boot back into the old partition to record that
important show during prime time and to relax and watch some TV, then
boot back to the new partition to work on it some more when you get some
free time.  This gives you the same ability to easily switch back and
forth between the two installs that you get with a VM.  The only thing
you don't get is the ability to run both at the same time.

I actually use a combination of these approaches so that I have an image
file safely tucked away on another system just in case I do something
stupid and pick the wrong partition for my new install or whatever.

Mike

*** Be careful, though, to ensure that you use an install approach that
does not repartition/steal all the other partitions on the drive.  You
can probably get help on how to do this from Mythbuntu/Ubuntu users.