[mythtv-users] Preview Thumbnails

Michael T. Dean mtdean at thirdcontact.com
Mon Sep 24 15:50:03 UTC 2012

On 09/24/2012 11:35 AM, Paul Onley wrote:
> On 09/24/2012 09:36 AM, Michael T. Dean wrote:
>> On 09/19/2012 01:23 PM, Paul Onley wrote:
>>> Is there a way to configure the offset in the recording used for
>>> thumbnail creation?
>>>
>>> I would like to have the thumbnail generated within the first couple
>>> seconds so as to be able to see the tuning information.
>>>
>>> The default offset is frequently in a commercial break on my
>>> recordings but the tuning info would let me see specific information
>>> such as the station changed what was shown without telling Schedules
>>> Direct.
>>
>> http://www.gossamer-threads.com/lists/mythtv/users/454959#454959
>>
>> Please read the entire post as it explains exactly why the simplistic
>> approach--a single offset value applied to all recordings--won't
>> work.  It also explains "in the future" direction where we'll go
>> (when I have a chance to polish up the patch I've written and push it
>> to MythTV when we're not in a feature freeze).
>>

> I wasn't completely clear in my question. I wanted to set the postion
> to 1 second in so that I would see the tuning info from the STB as
> verification that the channel change was successful. In hindsight the
> mention of the commercial break confused the issue.
>
> I had thought I had seen an option in previous versions to adjust the
> position but could not find it since I upgraded however I see from the
> post that you reference that the feature to adjust the position has
> apparently been changed.

Right, there's no longer support for specifying the position of the
offset--instead, it uses a "smart" offset that takes into account a lot
of other information.

So, if you want a preview at 1s in, you'll have to request it directly
with a Perl/Python script that uses the bindings or a direct HTTP
request using the backend web server.  There are examples of doing
either out there in the archives, or people could help here--but knowing
exactly how you're using this preview and where you need it to appear
would make it a lot easier to show you how/choose the best approach.

Mike