[mythtv-users] What if...?

Michael T. Dean mtdean at thirdcontact.com
Mon Sep 24 14:11:14 UTC 2012

On 09/20/2012 11:53 AM, Raymond Wagner wrote:
> On 9/20/2012 11:45, Matt Emmott wrote:
>> Once HLS matures to the point that we have live tv support and the
>> ability to seek within recordings
> Getting Live TV into HLS is actively being worked on, and being able
> to seek is an ability that already exists. The recording is transcoded
> into chunks sequentially, but you can seek at will within any of the
> available chunks.

Better would be providing support for an industry standard, such as DASH
(Dynamic Adaptive Streaming over HTTP -
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dynamic_Adaptive_Streaming_over_HTTP )
rather than using a vendor-centric solution like HLS.  Of course, that
"better" is actually dependent on whether the industry actually goes
with the industry standard rather than just going with Apple's HLS...