[mythtv-users] PVR350 problems with Myth 0.25.2

Dave Pearson lists at the-pearsons.co.uk
Mon Sep 24 10:51:12 UTC 2012

-----Original message-----
From:Neil Bird <neil at fnxweb.com>
Sent:Mon 24-09-2012 09:16
Subject:Re: [mythtv-users] PVR350 problems with Myth 0.25.2
To:Discussion about MythTV <mythtv-users at mythtv.org>;
Around about 23/09/12 19:39, George Mari typed ...

> One thing that still remains from before, however, is image ghosting - I
> am still getting 2 faint ghost images to the right of the main image
> being shown on the screen.  If you're old enough to remember, it's just
> like what we used to see in analog television.  It's actually fainter
> than that, so it's not unwatchable, but you do notice after a minute or so.

   Hmm, I've been seeing that as well as the flashing (don't recall both at
the same time, but I stop watching immediately on the flashing).  My
ghosting, when it happens, is pretty bad, sometimes enough to bin the
recording and try to catch a repeat.

   I'll have to have a look at the ventilation, as (as I've said elsewhere
in the thread) I'm still on older ivtv drivers (CentOS-5) and Myth 0.24-fixes.

--
[neil at fnx ~]# rm -f .signature
[neil at fnx ~]# ls -l .signature

I used to have ghosting, I managed to get rid of it by setting up the screen resolution correctly (720x576) in the recording profiles and by running a startup script to set some ivtv parameters whenever I reboot the box. The script is:

#!/bin/sh
### BEGIN INIT INFO
# Provides: set_ivtv_params
# Required-Start: $network
# Required-Stop: $network
# Default-Start: 2 3 5
### END INIT INFO

case "$1" in
'start')
    /usr/bin/v4l2-ctl --set-ctrl temporal_filter=0 -d /dev/video1
    /usr/bin/v4l2-ctl --set-fmt-video=width=720,height=576 -d /dev/video1
    ;;
'stop')
    ;;
*)
    echo "Usage: $0 { start | stop }"
    ;;
esac
exit 0

This works for me, I'm in a PAL region, you would need to adjust for NTSC.

You can actually test it by running the script while watching a live tv program, when you run the script the ghosting will disappear.

Regards,

Dave.