[mythtv-users] Installing Mythbuntu (backend) on a HP ProLiant MicroServer - N40L

Damian myth at surr.co.uk
Fri Sep 21 09:28:33 UTC 2012

Hello all,

I have never installed the 'server edition' of anything before, let
alone owed a headless machine of any kind.

I have a HP ProLiant MicroServer - N40L on it's way to me and I want to
put Ubuntu on there and the MythTV backend. It's also effectively going
to be the NAS for my house and the music server (using Logitec Media
Server .. Squeezebox Server).

How do you install an OS on a headless system? I know about and use VNC,
but don't you need an OS first before you can install and use VNC?

Do I need to install the server edition of Ubuntu, or can I install the
standard version?
Does the server version of Ubuntu have a GUI or is it all text based?
If it's all text based, can I install the Mythbuntu backend? I'm sure
others have done this, so there must be a way.

Looking forward to hearing your thoughts on my next step into geekdom :-)

Thanks
Damian