[mythtv-users] Problems with the new Mythbuntu 25.25 theme

John Finlay finlay at moeraki.com
Sat Sep 15 16:35:29 UTC 2012

On 9/15/2012 8:01 AM, Yeechang Lee wrote:
> John Finlay <finlay at moeraki.com> says:
>> You mean the workaround that requires changing the painter to
>> opengl?  Yes that allows the fanart and preview images to show but
>> if there is no coverart and no fanart the preview is not shown at
>> first i.e. the preview does not show until a program is selected,
>> deselected and then reselected.
> All I can say is "It works for me" with the OpenGL painter on both
> Linux and OS X. While most of my recordings have fan art some
> don't. There is no link between the preview and the coverart; that is,
> the preview should appear regardless of fan art status.

It fails repeatedly for me which means that your setup and mine are
sufficiently different that you don't see the problems I do. Perhaps
others will encounter these problems if their setup is sufficiently
similar to mine.
> Are you using a non-Nvidia video card? People have reported that some
> non-Nvidia cards don't run the OpenGL painter properly
> (<URL:http://www.gossamer-threads.com/lists/mythtv/dev/514130#514130>
> and later posts). My Linux frontend is seven years old. It hasn't been
> possible to buy a new system that slow for about five years, but it
> uses an Nvidia card and properly handles the OpenGL features the
> current version of the Mythbuntu theme uses.

I am running an Atom based Nvidia setup using a Zotac ID11 as a frontend.
>> Looking at it a bit more using the qt painter it seems that a
>> program has to have fanart in order to display the preview
> Again, there is no connection in the theme's code between the preview
> and fan art. I interpret
> <URL:http://code.mythtv.org/trac/ticket/10256#comment:2> to mean that
> the Qt painter is incompatible with the 0.25 animation
> functionality. Those who cannot run the OpenGL painter will have to
> revert to the 25.24 or 26.8 versions of the theme.

Well I get the various animations that I imagine are the reason for
making the changes in 25.25. A pity that the standard theme for
Mythbuntu does not cover the full spectrum of installations anymore.
This theme should be forked so that people having problems can use a
version without the fancy animations but still very functional.

How do I revert the theme to 25.24?

Thanks

John