[mythtv-users] HD-PVR or something else?

Joe Hickey jfwd at phlobus.net
Fri Sep 14 21:07:18 UTC 2012

On Fri, Sep 14, 2012 at 3:49 PM, Dan Wilga
<mythtv-users2 at dwilga-linux1.amherst.edu> wrote:
> On 9/14/12 10:31 AM, Joe Hickey wrote:
>>
>> How is the current state of HD-PVR support?  As I understand these
>> devices have been somewhat tricky to get working reliably, and some
>> people even went so far as to connect them to a remote-control power
>> module so they could automatically reboot them once a day.  Is that
>> still the case?  Are there any other options for analog HD capture
>> that are more stable?
>

> Also, it's worth noting that the "Gaming Edition" of the PVR is sometimes
> available at a much cheaper price than the normal one, and it is
> functionally identical.

Good to know, thanks for the tip.

I did a quick search on Newegg and I see both the gaming and
non-gaming HD-PVR, but it also looks like there is now an "HD-PVR 2"
and it's about $40 cheaper than the HD-PVR.

Link: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16815116084

Does anyone have any success/fail reports using this version?  Looks
like it has HDMI inputs, and according to the pictures it has a
breakout cable with component video inputs.  Nothing says anything
about linux support, but of course neither does the original HD PVR.