[mythtv-users] Commerical skipping thru PS3

Joseph Fry joe at thefrys.com
Thu Sep 13 23:51:19 UTC 2012

> Recently I put together a 'backend-only' MythTV installation (using an OTA
> antenna on the roof
> and a Hauppauge 950Q USB tuner). I use my PS3 connected to my LG TV to
> watch recorded shows.
> The PS3 has a Bluetooth remote (
> http://www.amazon.com/Media-Blu-ray-Remote-Control-Playstation-3/dp/B0050SX9I2
> )
> that handles basic play/pause/ffwd functions.
>
> I would like to know if it is possible to configure the system so that
> when I press one of the 'L' keys on the remote
> (or perhaps a color key) that the backend send the correct info to the
> PS3's DLNA client to skip commercials.

I am pretty sure this is not possible.  As far as I know DLNA doesn't allow
the server to tell the client what to do... its simply making the files
available for playback.

Now, if you had control over the DLNA client source code... or could run an
external application to control playback, you could probably query the
database for the cutlist and have it skip commercials.  However that's way
outside of the scope of Mythtv itself.