[mythtv-users] MythNews just stopped working!![SOLVED]

Robin Gilks g8ecj at gilks.org
Thu Sep 13 23:07:07 UTC 2012

> Greetings
>
> I run a Gentoo based system and last weekend I updated. My combined
> backend/frontend is OK but my stand alone frontend no longer is able to
> find and display any of the RSS feeds in MythNews.
>
> In the logs for this frontend, the only clue is:
>
> 2012-09-14 08:26:13.275169 E [3705/3705] CoreContext newssite.cpp:168
> (Update) - NewsSite: HTTP Connection Error
>                         Explanation: 1: HTTP request failed
> 2012-09-14 08:26:13.479184 E [3705/3705] CoreContext newssite.cpp:168
> (Update) - NewsSite: HTTP Connection Error
>                         Explanation: 1: HTTP request failed
>
> Trying to ping external hosts (e.g. www.bbc.co.uk) gets the IP address OK
> so the DNS lookup is fine.
>
> Anyone got an idea?

Turns out that I have an idea!!

An update to dnsmasq on the backend that serves up the DHCP stuff to the
standalone frontend missed the all important definition of the external IP
gateway. Without this line, dnsmasq defaults to saying that the machine
its running on is the gateway. This is wrong (it should point to the ADSL
modem) and ended up with the frontend not knowing how to connect to the
rest of the interweb

Happy days again...

--
Robin Gilks