[mythtv-users] MythTV on Android

Larry K lunchtimelarry at gmail.com
Wed Sep 12 23:59:44 UTC 2012

On Tue, Sep 11, 2012 at 11:09 AM, Thomas Mashos <thomas at mashos.com> wrote:

> On Tue, Sep 11, 2012 at 4:53 AM, Brian Long <briandlong at gmail.com> wrote:

> query on a
> >>
> >> Currently that is not possible. As I've previously stated, the minimum
> >> amount of data you can currently get to display a list of titles is
> >> all data about every episode. There isn't a "list titles" query.
> >
> > Dumb non-developer question: As I understand it, other frontends have
> > MySQL creds in order to query the backend DB directly for certain
> > items.  Until the MythTV backend API supports everything you need for
> > a mobile client, why not use direct MySQL access like the other
> > frontends?
> >
> > /Brian/
>
> It adds code complexity and requires another connection to the backend
> (to the database) and makes zeroconf no longer work (as minimally
> you'll need to enter a PIN, if not the hostname/user/pass of the
> database). It's doable, it just takes away some of the fun zeroconf
> (which is a great feature to just hit a button to find the backend).
>
> Personally, if possible I'd rather just carry a downstream patch of
> the "list titles" functionality in our distribution packages, although
> I haven't discussed that with other Mythbuntu devs nor do I know if
> the android app would take advantage of that functionality.
>
> Thanks,
>
> Thomas Mashos

The latest version (September) can't find my backend, yet the July version
can.  In neither version does the network scan find the backend.  I'm on
Android 2.3.4 if this matters.

How can I get the latest version to find my backend (on the local network;
 I have not even begun to try this app from outside the LAN)?