[mythtv-users] Switching to Directv from Dish and have a few questions

Michael mythtv at blandford.net
Tue Sep 11 23:28:09 UTC 2012

On 09/01/2012 02:35 PM, William Powers wrote:
> I use HD-PVR's to capture the output of H24's with MythTV and it works
> fine for me. I don't know of any restricted channels, but I probably
> only record a dozen or so channels when you get right down to it and I
> have never tried it with PPV. My H24 only has a coaxial SPDIF output,
> so I had to buy a media converter in order to capture 5.1 audio.
> Stereo works fine.

Thanks for the response.  The installer didn't have any H24's. After 2
visits, they finally offered me H23's.  These do have SPDIF.
> I use an earlier version of the directv_http.pl that works very
> reliably for me.  By inspection, the main differences between the
> script I am using and the one currently in the Wiki appear to be
> logging-related, so I don't expect you will have any issues.  To use
> the script, I have my network DHCP server set to give the STB's a
> fixed IP address and that works well.
>
> You may have to tinker with delays in order to get everything to work
> reliably.  I currently need a 6 or 7 second delay after tuning my H24
> before exiting the tuning process in order to avoid getting 'B' files
> from the HD-PVR.  You can call the script directly with the desired
> delay or write a wrapper script with a 'sleep' statement after
> returning from the directv_http.pl script.

Thanks.  1 second seems to be working for me.

I also modified the script to turn on the receiver if it was already off
in the event of a channel change.

It was a much easier integration than my previous experiences using IR
blasters.

I wish they still had this network interface on the H25's.  I don't
believe you can manage them the same way even with the whole house
network kit.

Michael