[mythtv-users] PSA: Copy-protect flag removed. Charter in Mass

Matt Emmott memmott at gmail.com
Tue Sep 11 00:59:01 UTC 2012

Hi all,

I have Charter digital cable in central Massachusetts. For as long as I've
had my HDHR Prime, I haven't been able to record extended digital channels
in HD due to the copy protection in place. Non-HD versions of those
channels worked just fine. At one point I had set up recording rules for
Metalocalypse and Robot Chicken on Cartoon Network's HD channel, which
would always result in zero byte recordings, and because I'm incredibly
lazy I never got around to fixing it.

Today I happened to notice that Torc on the iPad had generated thumbnails
for Robot Chicken. Sure enough, Cartoon Network HD now works! I went
through and tested a host of other previously-blocked HD channels, and so
far they all seem to work. Channels of note include Comedy Central, NBC
Sports, TBS and FX. Premiums like HBO, as I had expected, still do not
work.

I have no idea how long this switch has been in effect, and don't know if
it's permanent or what. Has anybody else noticed similar behavior? Any
reason to be optimistic that this awesomeness will continue?