[mythtv-users] Change subtitle color/background on 0.26

Jim Stichnoth stichnot at gmail.com
Sat Sep 8 21:35:43 UTC 2012

On Sat, Sep 8, 2012 at 1:32 PM, Thiago Bellini Ribeiro
<hackedbellini at gmail.com> wrote:
> Hi all,
>
> I just upgraded MythTV from 0.25 to 0.26 on Mythbuntu.
>
> I saw on changelog that themes are now responsibility for setting
> subtitles options. So, I took a look at osd_subtitles.xml of the theme
> I use (Steppes to be more exactly) and tried to change it a little. I
> wanted to remove that black background, change the subtitle color to
> yellow and add a black border on letters. But unfortunately, none of
> what I've done changed anything.
>
> So, that is my question: What is the right way for doing what I'm
> trying to do? If the only way now is by modifying osd_subtitles on
> theme folder, could you please point me what I have to do on it do
> make those changes?

You are taking the right approach.  I assume you are modifying
osd_subtitle.xml and not osd_subtitles.xml.

I took a look at
https://github.com/MythTV-Themes/Steppes/blob/master/osd_subtitle.xml
and I see that the Steppes author has only overridden the defaults for
the CEA-608, or "608", type of subtitles, by forcing a 50% transparent
black background instead of a fully opaque black background.

Are you trying to change the look of external text subtitles, such as
from .srt files?  If so, you probably want to add something like this:

    <fontdef name="text" face="FreeMono" from="provider">
      <color>#FFFF00</color>
      <outlinecolor>#000000</outlinecolor>
      <outlinesize>2</outlinesize>
      <outlinealpha>255</outlinealpha>