[mythtv-users] DVB-T card

Fred Watt fredwattmythtv at gmail.com
Fri Sep 7 17:47:35 UTC 2012

On 07/09/12 18:05, Simon Hobson wrote:
> phrippenatthekrotz wrote:
>
>> I have searched this on the inter-web and there is so much
>> conflicting advice.
>
> http://linuxtv.org/wiki/index.php/Hardware_Device_Information
>
>> So I ask the question here, If you where buying a DVB-T card today,
>> which would you buy, one that would work out of the box?
>
> Well I'm not planning on buying another one for a while, and to a
> certain extent I'm waiting for DVB-T2 PCIe tuner support to settle
> down. There are very few such devices, and Linux support is a bit
> patchy at the moment - but the TBS6280 looks promising once the
> drivers are settled.
>
> In my current box I have a couple of Hauppauge HVR-1200 cards in PCIe
> slots - they work straight out of the box (you just need to fetch the
> firmware file for them). My previous box had an HVR 1300 PCI card
> which also worked out of the box.
>
> If I *had* to buy a new tuner today, it would probably be the
> nanoStick T2 290e - partly because I don't have any slots free, and
> partly because it looks to be about the first fully support T2 tuner.
>
>> Much of the information/recommendations are of cards which vendors do
>> not stock any more or are unavailable.
>> Sadly the hardware sites for Mythtv are so out of date.
>
> The LinuxTV Wiki is fairly up to date.

I recently bought a nanoStick T2 290e and have to say it works well with
MythTV 0.25/Ubuntu 12.04.  'Out of the box' it will work with any distro
based on kernel 3.x.x and above.  I retired my Nova-t 500 card, and will
buy another 290e to allow for dual recording of freeview hd.  I also
have a dvb-s2 card for free sat.

The nanoStick T2 290e has been painless and I would recommend this as an
option.  If you're after freeview HD then for the sake of £60 pounds ish
just buy one.