[mythtv-users] Alternative to Silicondust HDHR3-6CC-2X3?

Joseph Fry joe at thefrys.com
Thu Sep 6 20:25:33 UTC 2012

> > Putting the amp at "the ingress" is the safest place to put one...
>
> Yes, and no.  Depending on the amp (and the internal splitter),
> there may be large return losses that impact two-way services
> such as cable modems and cableco STBs due to the upstream
> signal being attenuated.  As with all else, your signal will vary.
> If you are using a Cable Modem, and want an amp for a largish
> number of downstream devices, it is often suggested that you
> use a passive two-way splitter with one going to the CM and
> the other going to the amp.  This is not needed if you use
> MATV/CATV quality amps with appropriate return path
> designs, but those amps are a lot more money than most
> want to invest (and are often hard to source).  btw, also be
> careful about the supported frequencies.  Some cablecos
> are starting to use frequencies towards 1Ghz (and some
> amps top out at the (older) 850Mhz levels).

Thanks for correcting me.

Indeed, unless you know what your doing you should not amplify any
bi-directional devices... including cable modems and tuning
adapters/revolvers.  Typically amplifier circuitry is not designed to
handle the return path.  And your right about the frequencies, my cable
company doesn't broadcast anything above 849Mhz currently, and I suspect
that with Switched Digital Video they won't be, but the possibility is
always there... so a GHz capable amplifier is recommended unless your sure
you don't need it now and are willing to replace it if you need it in the
future.