[mythtv-users] Seeking advice, should I do a new install or upgrade?

Joe Hickey jfwd at phlobus.net
Thu Sep 6 19:34:59 UTC 2012

Hi all,
I recently moved, and I've finally got all my cat5 cables run where
they need to go...  Now I'm thinking about how to revive my mythtv
setup.

My situation is this: old installation was in a small apartment, so it
was a single combined FE/BE.  I also hadn't upgraded it in a while -
It is currently running an older (now unsupported) version of
Mythbuntu and mythtv v0.24, and also the 2TB video storage drive is
100% full.  In the new installation, I'd like to get back onto a
supported distribution.  I'm also doing some HW upgrades, got some
additional disks, etc etc.  I'm going back to a separate FE / BE setup
(which was my setup before my last apartment) and the prior combined
FE/BE box will go back to being an FE only.  Of course it's a
different TV service provider too.

So basically, almost everything about my setup is changing -- OS
versions, system roles, IP addresses, hostnames -- all of which can
cause headaches when done individually.  I'm inclined to do a new,
fresh install of the latest Mythbuntu and set everything up from a
clean slate.

HOWEVER, the big caveat is that I'd like to keep all the recorded
shows.   Is there any way to import the old recorded shows into a new
install?    Or do I have to first upgrade to 0.25 then purge out and
re-do my config (tuners, video sources, etc)?  This isn't the easiest
thing to do because I don't think 0.25 is pre- packaged for my old OS
version, and AFAIK ubuntu version upgrades have to be done one at a
time, so that's a big undertaking that I'd rather not do.

Any other thoughts/suggestions?

Thanks in advance!