[mythtv-users] Alternative to Silicondust HDHR3-6CC-2X3?

Matt Emmott memmott at gmail.com
Thu Sep 6 17:34:52 UTC 2012

On Thu, Sep 6, 2012 at 1:15 PM, bhaskins <bhaskins at chartermi.net> wrote:

> **
> On 09/06/2012 09:49 AM, David Litchman wrote:
>
> On 9/6/2012 2:43 AM, Joseph Fry wrote:
>

>  I've been trying to order one of these, but no one seems to have them
> in stock, and one retailer told me that they're discontinued. I could
> get two of the three-tuner model, but I'd prefer one piece of
> equipment.  Any good alternatives?  Anyone know if Silicondust working
> on a replacement for this unit?
>

> http://www.amazon.com/KG48348MR-Instant-Advanced-Precision-0-18-Ounce/dp/B000BKO6DG/
>

> AIUI, it would be little different from the 6CC unit, save the
> additional power supply.  :)
>

> The 6CC literally was two 3CC boards in a shared case. There were two
> network jacks, two cablecard slots, two coaxial inputs, two USB ports for
> tuning adatpers, two....
>
> The only thing stopping someone from making their own is the warranty.
>

>  Well, if I'm going to get two units, is there any reason to get the 3CC
> over an InfiniTV USB?  I kind of like the idea of an ethernet interface but
> I'd be getting four tuners per unit rather than three with the
> Silicondust...
>

>  I can think of a few reasons:
>
>  1. Cost... can typically find a HDHR Prime for about $129 if your
> patient (woot, groupon, etc)
>  2. Ethernet interface... arguably more reliable than usb, infinitely more
> flexible as far as install options go.
> 3. Ethernet interface... yeah, again... works great for a virtualized
> backend if you choose to do that.
> 4. Ethernet interface.... yep, one more... future proof (nearly)... no
> underlying driver or hardware support (other than ethernet), very unlikely
> to find a computer that can't use the HDHR in the next 20 years.  More
> likely to replace it for some sort of IPTV adapter before then.
> 5. Very Mythtv friendly manufacturer... the folks at Silicondust actually
> contribute to the development of Mythtv to ensure support and are very
> active in the support of the HDHR with Mythtv, even dedicating entire
> sections in their forums to it.
>
>  Item #5 is reason enough for me, Ceton doesn't even advertise that it is
> compatible with Linux.
>

> Thanks for the feedback, I actually already went and ordered two of the
> HDHR Prime 3CCs.  The price from Amazon was $129, guess I got lucky there.
>
> Now, obviously I'm going to have to split my coax connection, what's the
> best way to go about that?  Just a plain splitter, or is a
> powered/amplified one recommended?
>
> Be careful here, I bought a power splitter and it actually caused the loss
> of some channels.
> One of which my wife likes to watch.
> I had to pay to have the CCo come out and raise the power enough to
> overcome the passive splitter losses.
> Needless to say, this did not make me a bigger fan of the CCo.
>
> There seems to me some wonderful and creative engineering going on here.
> Some of the main channels are very fussy about the plumbing downstream
> [...]
at the ingress, with one cable going to the modem and the other the
amplified splitter. From there all my runs go direct to their respective
devices, including my HDHR prime. It works quite well for my home setup.
When I get home I can post the manufacturer and model of the splitter, if
anybody cares.

In a perfect world the only cables going to my TVs would be Ethernet, but
the tech isn't quite there yet, and with my penchant for watching live TV
combined with the copy-protection flag crap that so many channels use, it
may never happen.