[mythtv-users] DVD iso won't show menus

jedi jedi at mishnet.org
Thu Sep 6 14:55:13 UTC 2012

On Thu, Sep 06, 2012 at 09:17:31AM -0400, Michael T. Dean wrote:
> On 09/06/2012 09:12 AM, Michael T. Dean wrote:
> >(fixed top posting)

> >>Why would mplayer and VLC beable to play the iso file while mythtv's
> >>player can't?
> >
> >As above.
> >
> >>   I was under the impression that ddrescue is able to overcome
> >>the errors on the disc.
> >
> >No. ddrescue simply copies whatever it's able to copy off the disc
> >and leaves garbage/holes where it couldn't read.  If the holes
> >extend beyond the specific bytes where they existed on the disc
> >(due to how your drive actually attempts to read the broken
> >sectors and when it returns errors), it may actually make an
> >even-more-broken rip.
>
> And, really, the best place to discuss the issue is some forum for
> some dedicated DVD-ripping software, rather than here.

    You might want to consider that you have a damaged disk. On a rare
occasion, you might run into copy protection that Linux can't handle.
It's equally likely that you've got a bad disk.

    If the disk is from Disney or any associated company, then that
dramatically increases the likelihood that you are dealing with some
form of "sabotage" copy protection.

[deletia]

    In situations like these, I have always appreciated the ability to
use an alternate 3rd party app to play a video.