[mythtv-users] DVD iso won't show menus

jedi jedi at mishnet.org
Thu Sep 6 14:55:13 UTC 2012

On Thu, Sep 06, 2012 at 09:17:31AM -0400, Michael T. Dean wrote:
> On 09/06/2012 09:12 AM, Michael T. Dean wrote:
> >(fixed top posting)

> >>Why would mplayer and VLC beable to play the iso file while mythtv's
> >>player can't?
> >
> >As above.
> >
> >>   I was under the impression that ddrescue is able to overcome
> >>the errors on the disc.
> >
> >No. ddrescue simply copies whatever it's able to copy off the disc
> >and leaves garbage/holes where it couldn't read.  If the holes
> >extend beyond the specific bytes where they existed on the disc
> >(due to how your drive actually attempts to read the broken
> >sectors and when it returns errors), it may actually make an
> >even-more-broken rip.
> And, really, the best place to discuss the issue is some forum for
> some dedicated DVD-ripping software, rather than here.

    You might want to consider that you have a damaged disk. On a rare
occasion, you might run into copy protection that Linux can't handle.
It's equally likely that you've got a bad disk.

    If the disk is from Disney or any associated company, then that
dramatically increases the likelihood that you are dealing with some
form of "sabotage" copy protection.

    In situations like these, I have always appreciated the ability to
use an alternate 3rd party app to play a video.