[mythtv-users] DVD iso won't show menus

Michael T. Dean mtdean at thirdcontact.com
Thu Sep 6 13:17:31 UTC 2012

On 09/06/2012 09:12 AM, Michael T. Dean wrote:
> (fixed top posting)

>> Why would mplayer and VLC beable to play the iso file while mythtv's
>> player can't?
>
> As above.
>
>>    I was under the impression that ddrescue is able to overcome
>> the errors on the disc.
>
> No. ddrescue simply copies whatever it's able to copy off the disc and
> leaves garbage/holes where it couldn't read.  If the holes extend
> beyond the specific bytes where they existed on the disc (due to how
> your drive actually attempts to read the broken sectors and when it
> returns errors), it may actually make an even-more-broken rip.

And, really, the best place to discuss the issue is some forum for some
dedicated DVD-ripping software, rather than here.

The only thing of importance when it comes to MythTV is that MythTV has
no code to try to work around broken/non-compliant discs or any kinds of
copy protection, including structure protection.  So, whatever you do,
you'll need to get a good video without any of the garbage or MythTV
probably won't be able to play it properly.

Mike