[mythtv-users] Anyone using VNC on CentOS 6?

Ben Kamen bkamen at benjammin.net
Thu Sep 6 05:24:59 UTC 2012

On 2012-09-06 12:10 AM, Kirk Bocek wrote:

> Okay, but how about accessing not the mythtv-setup screens, but the mythtfrontend setup screens? That is, the setup for a particular frontend?
>
> I'm trying to avoid having to plug a keyboard into a frontend every
> time I want to change a setting in *that* frontend that requires
> typing in some text.

To my knowledge (again, someone can correct  me here since I'm also new to the split BE/FE mode --- but the FE's I've build with Hdisks can still be logged into.

In the cases of those systems, X is running on those systems. So I would think you could log in while those systems are running and do the same -- although I've never tried running two instances of mythfrontend from the same frontend with different displays. So I would probably exit out of mythfrontend of the remote frontend system -- OR, get the VNC module loaded in those xorg.conf's so vnc is tied to the local console (which is was the user would see on the screen anyway)

 From what I can see now, you have two scenarios here that have to be handled a little different

> The Xorg vnc module was my answer for years. It was working great before but is crashing now.

I'm assuming this is on the backend which doesn't have X installed and running. Without that plumbing, I can't attest to what Xvncserver will do without the rest of X installed in case there are shared libraries involved. I just haven't tried that mode of operation.

if you're talking about the frontends for having vnc in the xorg.conf, I've not yet tried that, so I couldn't say for sure.

Per your private email:

> If you think you have a solution, please share it. I'm familiar with
> X fowarding via ssh but I don't understand how that applies to this
> particular situation. That is, a running instance of mythfrontend.

You don't have to "forward ports" through SSH if you have direct access to the client system and your win32 pc's X server ports are open to remote hosts.

Example: on my Windows PC, I have Cygwin/X installed. I start the default "local" X server. Then I SSH (or even telnet if you have that set up) into the remote host. I get to the user prompt I want (i.e I 'su' to root if I need to) and then type 'export DISPLAY=mywindowshost:0' (where mywindowshost is the IP or hostname of the computer I'm logging in from). I also need to make sure that remote host is allowed to connect into the Cygwin/X server (usually in /etc/X0.hosts).

Then I just type "mythfrontend" or "mythtvsetup" and it runs locally on that server with the Xwindows output on the windows PC.

Hope that helps,

  -Ben