[mythtv-users] Displayed recording duration not updated after applying cutlist

Richard peper03 at yahoo.com
Mon Sep 3 23:30:04 UTC 2012

On 04/09/12 00:48, John Pilkington wrote:
> On 03/09/12 23:23, Michael T. Dean wrote:
>> On 09/03/2012 05:19 PM, John Pilkington wrote:
>>> This is new since upgrading to 0.25-fixes.  Because I use my own
>>> scripts to do the cutting I shall have to try to fix it, but I'd like
>>> a pointer to tell me where to look.
>>> In playback mode hitting step-forward brings up a display of current
>>> position and total duration;  that's what isn't being updated.
>>> Stepping to the end in the editor shows the correct new duration.
>>> The script I use clears the cutlist, rebuilds the seek table
>>> (mythtranscode --mpeg2 --rebuild) and resets the file size.  Any idea
>>> what else it needs to do now?
>>> FWIW I'm using MythCenter-Wide.
>> No idea, but in 0.25+, the file size should be updated automatically
>> when you rebuild the seek table, so I'd recommend removing that part of
>> your script.
>> http://www.gossamer-threads.com/lists/mythtv/firehose/502777#502777
>> Mike
> Good, I'll try that.  I just tried reversing the order of rebuild and
> clearcutlist, with no effect.  I'll look at using other rebuild options
> too - but ISTR that there was talk of dropping some of them?  I'll hunt
> around a bit more and maybe try another theme, too.

It may well be the duration entry in recordedmarkup.  The entry with 
type==33 (MARK_DURATION_MS).

There appear to be two different ways of updating the seek table.  One 
is using mythtranscode, the other is with mythcommflag --rebuild.  I use 
mythcommflag and that seems to update the recordedmarkup entry ok.

I don't know what the difference is otherwise between the two different 

Some themes show the duration of each recording in the 'Watch 
Recordings' list (e.g. Steppes) but this is just the difference between 
the start and end times of the recording.  I ended up writing a script 
that would trim the start and end according to the cutlist, update the 
start and end times of the recording accordingly and also filter out any 
data stream from the recording, leaving all audio, video and subtitle 
stream untouched (as I understand it, this should directly using 
'Recording profiles' but that never seemed to have any effect). 
Depending on the channel and the amount of data streamed, the final file 
is sometimes almost half the original size!


More information about the mythtv-users mailing list