[mythtv-users] Logging question

Stephen Robertson stephengrobertson at gmail.com
Sun Sep 2 21:01:38 UTC 2012

On Sat, Sep 1, 2012 at 4:43 PM, Bill Meek <keemllib at gmail.com> wrote:
> On 09/01/2012 05:40 AM, Yianni Vidalis wrote:
>
>> Thank you very much for your .conf file. I installed it on openSuSE 12.1
>> and it works flawlessly (I'm running master.)
>
> Yianni;
>
> Thanks for testing. The 0.26 release notes have been updated to point to
> a Wiki addition with that change:
>
>  http://www.mythtv.org/wiki/Simple_rsyslog_Configuration
>
> --
> Bill

I am trying to investigate a problem with mythvidexport.py and in the
process was looking at this new logging.  It took me a while to get
the output from mythvidexport into a log file. (First I heard of
rsyslog was an hour ago)

I think the reason is that the "mythvidexport.py" portion is the
PROGRAMNAME rather than the first characters of msg

Adding this to what was in the wiki:

$template vidExport,"%TIMESTAMP% %HOSTNAME% %PROGRAMNAME% %msg%\n"
if $syslogfacility-text == 'local7' and $PROGRAMNAME startswith
'mythvidexport.py' then
/var/log/mythtv-syslog/mythvidexport.log;vidExport
& ~

got me messages like
Sep  2 21:48:43 bressay mythvidexport.py  database callback received
-- 0xa3edc5c
Sep  2 21:48:43 bressay mythvidexport.py  Releasing connection to pool

in my logs which seems good.

I don't know whether this difference where mythvidexport.py is the
program name rather than mythlogserver is down to me specifying the
logging to the script incorrectly, whether it is an intentional
difference or whether the expectation would be for it to behave the
same as other parts of myth.

Stephen