[mythtv-users] Video is 'x' frames behind audio (too slow), dropping frame to catch up

Greg Grotsky spikeygg.mythbox at gmail.com
Sun Sep 2 03:11:43 UTC 2012

On Thu, Aug 16, 2012 at 9:31 AM, Joseph Fry <joe at thefrys.com> wrote:

> 16x PCIe 1.0 should be plenty fast enough.
>
> I did see some comments in one of the other threads mentioned above that
> suggested that heat may be an issue.  Apparently the cards will clock down
> when they get hot.  Because you seemed to suggest at one point that the
> issue appeared resolved, then came back after an hour of use, you might
> just check to see how hot the card is getting.

Joe, do you know at what temperature the cards will clock down?

I have recently upgraded my main mythtv machine it's a frontend/backend
combo. Used to be an AMD x2 and I upgraded it to a full blown Intel Xeon
server (Supermicro X9SRA). I am using the same GT 430 graphics card as I
had in the old machine. I used to be able to use the High Quality Nvidia
VDPAU without any problems. I had smooth video no matter what the broadcast
with Adv 2x with a Adv 1x fallback (never tried 1080p). However, now when I
try to use any VDPAU even without deinterlacing filters the video is a lot
of push-pull/slow-go to the point of being annoying. It's especially
noticeable when there's a smooth pan happening in the video or if someone
is walking across the screen. I'm currently doing all the decoding on the
Xeon processor instead of using VDPAU because of this. I still need to try
realtime threads...

Thanks,
-Greg

BTW: thanks Nick for that nvidia-settings command, pretty cool that we can
check the temps on these cards.