[mythtv-users] Commercial Flagging (UK, DVB-T)

Tim Phipps phipps-hutton at sky.com
Sun Oct 28 00:31:20 UTC 2012

Quoting Mark Greenwood <fatgerman at gmail.com>:
> Funnily enough the same thought just occurred to me as this email
> came in. My storage groups don't have a slash at the end. I'm using
> a default mythbuntu install, so I didn't create them myself. So it's
> more likely a mythbuntu bug than an mythtv bug then I guess? When I
> get a slack minute I'll report it to the mythbuntu guys. I'm loath
> to change my storage groups now because who knows what else it might
> break? :)

Well, there's only one way to find out!

> BTW once I'd made that change, your script ran and detected
> commercials successfully on two recordings. The CPU usage on my
> atom/ION backend was still too high to do flagging during recording
> (not that I actually tried it, but flagging an existing recording I
> watched 'top' while it ran and the CPU was maxed.) It's quicker than
> the mythcommflag_wrapper script but uses more CPU, which is not what
> I was expecting and I don't think it's what you were expecting
> either :) Must be something odd going on there. I'll keep
> investigating.

When you run this script on an old recording the CPU is going to be
the only limit and it will run ffmpeg/avconv at 100% CPU and mausc at
whatever it takes to keep up.  If you set it to start when a recording
starts it will be throttled by the incoming data rate and will use
much less CPU, plus it won't need to read the data from disk because
it will almost certainly be in the cache. The system will take less
energy and will be done quicker.

Try it out in a quiet time with a programme you don't care about. You
should see the CPU spike at the start and then drop down once things
settle into a nice steady flow.

Cheers,
Tim.