[mythtv-users] no more PCI in my basement

Mike Perkins mikep at randomtraveller.org.uk
Fri Oct 26 10:01:02 UTC 2012

On 25/10/12 22:56, Peter Bennett (cats22) wrote:
> On 10/25/2012 11:33 AM, Stefan G. Weichinger wrote:

>>> I had a TBS 6981 but their drivers are out-of-Linus's tree, so I got
>>> fed up of bodging their code to work with newer kernels, I replaced it
>>> with a TeVii S480 which is a PCIe card that presents the tuners as USB
>>> devices, this is perhaps less efficient but works nicely for me (with
>>> the tuners in a Xen domU as my backend).
>> thanks for that feedback ...
>>
> How about USB? I have two Pinnacle / PCTV usb sticks, I have had no
> problem with them. This way you don't need to worry about PCI, PCIe, or
> whatever they come up with next. Just make sure it is supported by Linux TV.

I seem to remember some potential gotchas with USB: not a good idea to use hubs
(plug directly into the back panel or via a m/f extender cable only) and try to
use different host hubs on the motherboard for each tuner.

Apart from that USB tuners would seem to be the way to go if you don't have a
big box to put your card(s) into (or network, of course, for HDHR users).

--

Mike Perkins