[mythtv-users] DVB-T tuners recording multiple shows

Mark Greenwood fatgerman at gmail.com
Thu Oct 25 15:07:01 UTC 2012

On 25 Oct 2012, at 15:48, Martin Moores wrote:

> On 25 October 2012 15:17, Mark Greenwood <fatgerman at gmail.com> wrote:
>
> On 25 Oct 2012, at 12:04, Mark Greenwood wrote:
>
> > Hi again,
> >
> > I recently upgraded from 0.24 to 0.26 (fresh install). I recall that under 0.24 I could set 'Max Recordings' for a DVB tuner to '2', and mythtv would understand that it could record 2 channels simultaneously on that tuner provided they were on the same multiplex. This always worked fine.
> >
> > In 0.26, however, I just programmed 2 shows to record at the same time. They're on different multiplexes but in mythweb I can see that they are both set to be recorded on the same tuner. Surely this won't work. What have I done wrong?
> >
> > I have 2 USB DVB-T sticks connected, they're indentical. I was expecting the second show to be scheduled to be recorded on the second stick. Is this something to do with input groups? - this is something I have failed to get my head around and just allowed mythtv-setup to specify it in its own mysterious way :)
>
> Whoops, just answered my own question… I'd given both tuners the same name in the backend setup :) PEBKAC.
>
> On this subject though, I'm still a little confused about input groups. The backend setup, under Input Connections, has two input groups for each tuner. For each tuner the first input group is set to something like /dvb/adapterN/frontend0 and the second is set to 'Generic'. But as I understand it, to permit 4 simultaneous recordings (assuming appropriate choices of channles/multiplexes) the second one should also be unique. Is this wrong?
>
> Thanks,
>
> Mark
>
> You only get an entry in input connections for each physical tuner, enabling multi rec does not increase the number of input connections.
>
> For example, I have 2 dual tuners, so have 4 entries
>
> Not sure what the "generic" is though, mine all have a full "/dvb/adapter1/frontend0" name.

OK so I have two entries in input connections, one for each physical tuner. But under each entry there are settings for 'Input Group1' and 'Input Group 2'. I'm confused as to what the second input group is for.

Is there anything to enabling multi rec other than setting 'Max recordings' to 2 under 'Recording Settings' for the card in the backend setup? (2 appears to be the default).

Thanks,

Mark