[mythtv-users] Batch Download and Archive Recordings With Expanded File Names

tortise tortise at paradise.net.nz
Thu Oct 25 09:12:58 UTC 2012

On 25/10/2012 1:10 p.m., Michael T. Dean wrote:
> Use mythlink.pl to create a directory of symlinks with the desired
> format, then copy those "links" to the drive (using cp or--my
> preference--rsync -av --progress) while dereferencing the links and
> you'll have a bunch of files with the desired names...

That is so damned cool... Thank you. I did know of mythlink but I had
incorrectly thought the symbolic file names would only copy the links -
without the underlying file....

Ref: http://www.mythtv.org/wiki/Mythlink.pl

I now realise I can also make a file listing under the web server which
makes for really quick navigation and selection on PC's without a
frontend! Nice.

Seems mythlink.pl has not got to 0.26 yet, presumably due to the TZ changes.

 >Then just go in
 > and delete those recordings using mythweb or mythfrontend or ...

I suppose there is no automated way of deleting or auto expiring the files?

> You could also do this with a user job--just requires writing a little
> script.

More study lined up....!!