[mythtv-users] Best options/howto for diskless frontends

Michael Drons mdrons at yahoo.com
Wed Oct 24 19:46:34 UTC 2012

I had a backend crash and switched linux distro & upgraded mythtv in the process.  My backend is now running Ubuntu and mythtv .26.  I now need to upgrade my frontends, which are diskless.

They are running gentoo, but was thinking of switching distros also.  Anyone have a recommendation on a distro that supports diskless mythtv frontends.

I have been struggling now for 2 days trying to get LTSP working (following these instructions: https://help.ubuntu.com/community/MythTV/Install/Hardy/Diskless), but I seem to have many errors as it does not work.  Everything I find in google references onlder versions of Ubuntu (I am running 12.10) on the backend.

My only requirement is that the frontends boot quickly.  The gentoo FE boot from power on to mythtv ready in about 45 seconds with no hibernation or sleep configured.

A nice to have would be for the frontends to share the nfs partition (currently have 3 diskless fe).  My current setup takes a lot of disk as each FE has its own root nfs mount point.

Thanks for any recommendations and references.

Mike