[mythtv-users] Notes from upgrading to mythtv-0.26

Bill Meek keemllib at gmail.com
Mon Oct 22 23:50:38 UTC 2012

On 10/22/2012 06:23 PM, Michael T. Dean wrote:
> This is why no one should rely on the automatic backup--which was put in place as a last resort for users who don't properly plan their upgrades
> and do a manual backup /and/ put a copy of that manually-created backup in a safe place on a different file system/computer/network/disconnected
> drive/...  I wrote the code that does the backup and I don't trust it, so I recommend no one else should, either.

Mike;

I wrote this a while ago, but just added it the the Wiki when I saw
your reply:

   http://www.mythtv.org/wiki/Database_Backup_and_Restore#The_Role_of_mythconverg_backup.pl_When_Changeing_MythTV_Versions

Doing the test suggested not only makes it likely that the automatic backup will run,
but if completed, creates a backup *before* the upgrade is even attempted.

No matter how obvious, I think a link to it belongs in all future release notes.

--
Bill