[mythtv-users] mythlink and NFS mounts

Raymond Wagner raymond at wagnerrp.com
Mon Oct 22 16:39:21 UTC 2012

On 10/22/2012 11:47, Larry Roberts wrote:
> In preparing to upgrade my system and to make things easier for future
> upgrades I have moved my videos to an NFS mount.
>
> After doing this mythlink.pl running on the backend creates links that
> are perfectly valid for the backend, but unfortunately no longer valid
> for a remote windows system that is mounting an SMB share of the
> directly the symlinks are created in.  When the videos were local it
> worked great.

There is some "unix extensions" parameter that needs to be disabled to
force Samba to dereference the symlinks server side, there there is
access to the files. The default behavior, if the Windows client is
sufficiently new to be capable of doing so, is to pass the links through
and let the Windows client dereference.